Mental health issues can affect anyone at any time. With countries around the world still in lockdown due to COVID-19, it’s especially important to look after not only what you put in your body at mealtimes, but your mental health too.
Mental Health Foundation’s (MHF) ‘Mental Health Awareness Week’ was started in 2001 with the aim of bringing attention to topics surrounding a person’s wellbeing for one week each May. Between 18-24 May 2020 the MHF will be asking individuals around the world to share ideas on building a kinder society that would support mental health in a positive way.
According to the MHF, the ‘kindness’ theme for 2020 has been chosen in response to the global pandemic and that ‘the added benefit of helping others is that it is good for our own mental health and wellbeing. It can help reduce stress and improve emotional wellbeing too’.
Random acts of kindness
Here at Jupiter our values reflect the way that we work together and run the business and ‘To help others’ is one of our key ideals that can be found on the wall of every Jupiter office, farm building and packhouse. That’s why we’re sharing a few ways that can brighten someone else’s day:
- Call a friend that you haven’t spoken to for a while
- Tell a family member how much you love and appreciate them
- Arrange to have a virtual cup of tea and catch up with someone you know
- Tell someone you know why you are thankful for them
- Send someone you know a joke to cheer them up
- Arrange to watch a film at the same time as a friend and video call them
- Help with a household chore at home
- Reach out to call a friend, family member or neighbour who is experiencing loneliness or self-isolation
- Lend your ear – call a colleague and ask how they’re finding the change in routine
You can find even more fantastic ideas on the Mental Health Awareness website.
Local community support
If you would like to find out more on how we’re providing support and spreading joy in local communities, you can check out the news section of our website.
The Jupiter Group is a leader in the global fresh produce market. Ranked 17th in the 2020 The Sunday Times HSBC International Track 200, Jupiter grows and supplies new and traditional varieties of grapes and citrus alongside melons, pineapples, limes, avocados and kiwi.