Let’s talk about bananas
This month Fyffes is celebrating the 130th anniversary of its first delivery of bananas in the UK – which was back on September 20, 1888.
So, we thought we’d get into the spirit and celebrate this interesting fruit too, as well as take up the opportunity to congratulate Fyffes on such an impressive milestone.
Bananas are just one of the host of fresh produce that we distribute around the globe from our base in the Shropshire countryside here at the Jupiter Group.
Bananas boast a raft of health benefits
Here’s some wonderful, and some weird, facts about bananas, which are packed full of nutrients and have a raft of health benefits too:
- It’s claimed that bananas may have been the world’s first cultivated fruit as archaeologists have found evidence of banana cultivation in New Guinea as far back as 8000 BC;
- Did you know that bananas are technically a berry in botanical terms? Well, it’s true;
- An excellent source of magnesium and potassium, bananas help relax overstressed muscles, and are also hailed as one of the best natural food supplements when it comes to athletic performance;
- Some studies have gone so far as to suggest that when it comes to replenishing energy and electrolytes, bananas can be more effective than sports drinks;
- As well as being a berry ,another unexpected fact about the banana is that the plants they grow on are actually classed as herbs!
- Bananas are also said to be good for your heart, improve depression and mood, are good for digestion, vision and bones, and could also prevent some types of cancer, including kidney cancer;
- Banana peel is also said to be packed with high amounts of vitamin B6 and B12, as well as magnesium, potassium, and some fibre and protein too;
- Don’t eat too many bananas in one sitting though, as it’s thought that eating bananas in excess can actually trigger headaches and sleepiness – around two bananas a day is said to be about right;
- We humans are said to share about 50% of our DNA with bananas;
- The inside of a banana peel is said to be able to relieve itching and inflammation, such as from bug bite or poison ivy;
- It’s claimed that more than 100 billion bananas are eaten every year around the world, making them the fourth most popular agricultural product.
Want to know more about our fresh produce world?
Based in the UK, Jupiter Group is a leader in the global fresh produce market. Ranked 17th in the 2018 The Sunday Times International Track 200, Jupiter grows and supplies new varieties of grapes alongside a global supply of citrus, top fruit, stone fruit and kiwi.